We regularly include traditional, new hymns and choruses in our congregational singing. The Worship Team leads the 8:30 service that features a blended musical style with emphasis on contemporary music. Although grounded in a traditional sense, the 10:55 service incorporates a variety of musical styles in anthems and choral responses.
Trip McGill, Organist and also the Director of Music, leads congregational hymn singing from the 16-rank Wicks organ, and regularly incorporates instrumentalists to energize congregational singing.
Music Opportunities for Children
Milette Oden directs our children’s choirs. A number of capable choir assistants work with Mrs. Oden each week, and young musicians participate in worship at various times throughout the year.
- Cherub Choir is the choir experience specifically designed for kindergartners and first graders. Children in this choir have opportunities to explore their singing voices, play rhythm instruments and other activities. Cherub Choir meets on Wednesdays, 7:00 – 7:25
- Junior Choir is a more focused choir experience for children in second through fifth grades. The singers develop vocal technique and choral skills, learn hymns, and prepare to lead the congregation in worship during the church year. Junior choir rehearses on Wednesdays, 5:00 – 5:45pm.
- Joyful Noise is a music rotation that offers children in grades 2 – 5 opportunities to play handbells, Orff instruments and percussion instruments as time allows. Singing and basic music reading skills are important in each class. Joyful Noise meets on Wednesdays, 6:30 – 6:55pm.
Music Opportunities for Middle School, Youth and Adults
Phil Biedenbender directs our Youth Choir and Adult Choirs with stylistic flexibility and musicality
- Youth Choir is open to all middle and high school students, is designed to be a continuation of the learning begun in Junior Choir. Singers will continue to develop vocal technique, learn hymns, explore a variety of musical styles and lead the congregation in worship during the church year. Youth Choir meets on Sunday mornings from 9:45 – 10:10am.
- Adult Choir or Chancel Choir provides musical leadership for each worship service on Sunday mornings. The choir sings on a weekly basis for the 10:55 service and at various times during the 8:30 service. The Adult choir also prepares music for special events and festive worship services. Chancel Choir meets on Wednesdays, 7:00 – 8:15pm
Josh Hjemvick leads our Praise Team. It’s comprised of instrumentalists and singers to provide leadership for congregational singing and special music during our 8:30 service. The Praise Team rehearses on Wednesdays, 7:30 – 8:30pm
Karen Willis, directs our Celebration Ringers. The Celebration Ringers are an excellent group of hand bell ringers who enjoy contributing their music to God’s glory through worship. Celebration Ringers rehearse on Wednesdays, 6:00 – 7:00pm.
Should you feel called to serve God through our Music Ministry, all are welcome to join any of our music groups. Please contact, Trip McGill, Director of Music by email: email@example.com or by calling the church office.
Music Opportunities on the ARP Synod Level
- The Bonclarken Music Conference is the denomination’s conference on music and worship, sponsored by the ARP Synod’s planned and sponsored by Synod’s Committee on Worship. The event is held each year, during July at Bonclarken Conference Center in Flat Rock, NC. Registration, each year, is collected through our church and coordinated by our Director of Music, who is also the Co-Conference Director of the Bonclarken Music Conference.